Overlap, or My Life as a Two-Timer

I feel like I'm taking my mistress on a date in the basement while my wife makes me dinner upstairs. Which is patently absurd. I know this.

I've never had this kind of overlap directing before. One show, Six Years, is currently running at New Leaf. I'm super proud of it - my cast is Made Of Awesome. And if you haven't seen it already, golly I hope you will. So that still has two more weekends to go (well, including this one -so, 1.5 weekend?). Sweet.

And then this week I started working on Touch. This show will open in January. It is about a lot of things, but today for me it is mostly about how the people we care for - the people who touch us - stay with us, that we carry them around wherever we go. So we're never really alone. I'll change my mind again about what I think it's about. But for today, that's what I think it's about. It's also about the stars. And this group of actors adamantly refuses to disabuse me of the idea that I am a casting genius.

So. Tonight I will have two casts in the same building. Six Years will be in the theatre (thank you, Captain Obvious) and Touch will be in the dance room - both at the Lincoln Park Cultural Center. One cast is nearing the end of their journey. They're completely self-sufficient. I am (sniffle) no longer needed there. And the other - well, we're just getting started.

Which means that maybe I'm not a cheater cheater pumpkin eater. Maybe I'm my mother after all. My mother who had two kids 11 years apart, so it's like she's got two only children. Lucky her. I've got this one kid who's all grown-up and has a good job and a nice apartment in the city and he still calls me on Sundays but he pretty much has it all covered. "Thanks, Mom, I can fold my own underpants." And then I've got this other kid who is just starting to look around and realize she has thumbs.

This is awesome. I am the luckiest girl I know.

Comments

Popular Posts